For a long time a sought-after vacation destination
The town of Geising was first mentioned in a document in 1374. At that time, the famous Emperor Charles IV ruled the empire. Geising received its town charter in 1462, exactly 30 years before the discovery of America. Attracted by tin discoveries, the first miners soon settled in this part of the Osterzgebirge. For more than 500 years, silver and tin were extracted from the rock. With the end of mining, Geising’s history as a vacation resort, especially as a winter sports resort, began.
Thanks to its special location, the town developed into a tourist attraction. The many sports and leisure activities, the clean mountain air and the beautiful hiking trails in the area attracted and continue to attract nature lovers from the major cities in Saxony, especially Dresden.
The town center is largely protected as a historic and well-preserved settlement. Since the town was spared from major fires during its development, its layout has remained almost unchanged since the 16th century.
Incidentally, the most famous son of today’s town of Geising, which currently has about 3200 inhabitants, is George Bähr (1666-1738), the master builder of Dresden’s Frauenkirche.
Idyll for winter sports
Winter sports enthusiasts love the place because it is sheltered from the wind between the mountains with its slopes and cross-country ski trails, and because you can find a variety of winter sports opportunities of all levels of difficulty in Geising and its immediate surroundings.
The same ski area includes, in addition to the Geising slope with two lifts and a beginner’s lift, the slope in neighboring Altenberg with various challenging slopes and only about 10 kilometers from the Waldhotel am Aschergraben, on the striking steep slope of the Ore Mountains, on the Czech side, the “Stürmer” (Bournak) with five slopes, including black, red and blue.